"First things first. Your business is life, not death. Follow me. Pursue life."
Matthew 8:20

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Caring.

Sometimes, my heart feels overwhelmed.

It seems the more I learn, the harder it is for me to know what to care about. There is constantly a new cause to support, a new problem to fix, a new idea to encourage, all equally worth time and attention. But I have not yet mastered the ability to fully care about a few. Instead, awed by the sheer quantity of need, I skim the surface of it all, not really getting too close to any one issue or group. I subconsciously feel that by giving my full efforts to some ministries or organizations, I make a declaration that the others are not serious or worth my energy.

In a culture permeated with over-choice, I should be able to decide on the things that really burden my heart. Yet I find myself an un-anchored advocate, floating freely from one idea to the next, enthused merely about whatever cause has grasped my attention. This is not the deep, passionated support I want to give anything.

So I suppose my question for the emptiness of the blog-sphere is this. As a person who seeks to do good, to make a difference, to invoke positive change, to be an authentic Christian,

how do I tie my heart to some of the hurting, broken, and unsaved while doing nothing for the others?

I'm not sure I believe it's as black and white as all that. That by choosing to help here and not there I am purposefully depriving people. Rather, I think true caring is an acknowledgement of all there is to do, an act of doing what you can, and an apology for what you can't. The answer lies in a balance.

A balance between ignorance and arrogance: knowing what is out there but not assuming one person or even one country has all the solutions.

A balance between guilt and drive: feeling called and compelled to help without berating your heart into uselessness.

But what I must believe is most important, is love. Not the cliche, hippie-trippy love or the box of chocolates love. But real, honest, raw love. Love that sees pain and is ruined by it. Love that puts emotion into action. Love that truly changes lives.

And so I will continue seeking and learning, beginning to open my heart to the truth of caring.

"Your mission in life is where your deep joy and the world's deep hunger meet" -Richard Nelson Bolles

No comments:

Post a Comment